The Reunion volcano in a few words
A must-see, the Piton de la Fournaise peaks in the South East of the island at 2,632 meters; it is one of the most active volcanoes on the planet. Unique in France, it is one of the most visited tourist sites in Reunion.
The volcano allows everyone to find themselves in an extraordinary atmosphere - or rather "extraordinary" atmospheres - in a few hours from anywhere on Reunion Island.
- The bravest can go and admire the sunrise above the crater after a few hours of hiking (night).
- The others can be content with the Pas de Bellecombe (and that's already a lot!) Or even descend into the enclosure to approach the Formica Léo ...
- The lucky ones can admire the lava flows in the event of a volcanic eruption. See theORSEC Volcan device alert phases
- The most curious and / or reckless will walk the lava tunnels
- The most "nature lovers" will want to stay longer and hike in the Plaine des Cafres sector between volcanoes, peaks and primary forests.
- Finally, the national road - also called lava road - crosses the ancient flows in the South East of the island
In any case, traveling the route of the volcano to arrive at Pas de Bellecombe is already an incredible journey in itself!